Jess Individual Reflection

Diary

18th of January 2017

Today we had our first meeting with Dylan, he reminded us to start a diary, start our press pack which is worth 5% of our grades.  We wanted to consider either doing a live podcast, which would be a big challenge and maybe not as effective as a pre-recorded episode as we wouldn’t be able to time it a perfect as we wouldn’t know how long each interviewee would talk for. We also considered a documentary style show where it would focus on a few people with different talents but we don’t know how enjoyable that would be. For research, we were told to check out Radio Lab podcasts as they are similar to something we expressed we wanted to do, with wild talk and with a close mic so it sounded like we were in the listener’s ears. We were also given Ted Talks to listen too. We are going to go away and work out which style of show would benefit us and even think of some people we know who have weird/interesting skills that they haven’t learned in school.

24th of January 2017

I had decided that I would like to talk about weird facts and talents that people have gained over the years and find people with inspiring stories. Adam also come up with the idea of how there is certain skills and knowledge that we crave to gain rather than ones we are just prescribed i.e. maths skills or English skills. It would involve a lot of different disciplines around the local community. The name could be Pass It on and people would inform us of their skills whether it be musical, language, food, sport. They would have to have learned the skill from an elder family or friend or have taught someone else that skill. We could even have a live segment at the end of the show to showcase the talents we have seen.

25th of January 2017

We decided on the show A podcast show about life, learning and the lessons we teach each other. About learning that occurs outside of the conventional classroom – the notion of certain skills and knowledge that we crave rather than are just prescribed. This would involve loads of different, varying types of skills from the local community – people would tell us about their specialist skills in the podcast; be it a musical talent, or a knack for invention etc. or something more physically based and practical. It would be about generations of people who have passed down these skills whether it be mother to daughter of Grandfather to grandchild. At the end, we would then bring back our guests for a live interview and give them a chance to pass this on to any of our listeners.

On the show, we would like:

• Sound effects under interview to make them sound a bit more interesting
  • Try and find people from the community
  • Play this on Siren FM
  • Set up a website and blog to give extra information and show photos of the people

Next we will need to start the written proposal to get our ideas on a document.

30th of January 2017

We came up with a proposal and went over our roles, the technical role was thrown around and eventually I was given that role, which I was not too excited about. But I realised it would give me a chance to take on a new role and learn something new as I had never been the tech before.  We planned to do a longer show 30-40 minutes long but I think we will have to make it a tad longer to maybe 60 minutes. To start off with our first interview Adam suggested we visit a poetry event on Wednesday as poetry is an acquired skill and is usually something you teach yourself and not many people are into it as much anymore. Unfortunately, me and James already have something on that day so Adam will have to record this one on his own. He plans to record the event if he gets the permission and get some photos for the blog. He has set an interview with Gemma one of the poets and me and James will post on the Facebook sites to see if there is any people we can find who have good talents or have been inspired by anyone. James had an idea to get one of the Lincoln City players and has emailed them.  Someone contacted us about singing but they were not from Lincoln but we can keep them just in case we struggle to find enough people. One of James friends contacted him about learning a language which can make up a good part of our show as she has an interesting background story.

Areas we should explore:

• Literature (poetry, different languages) Adam
  • Music (song writing, instruments) Adam
  • Sport (coaching, playing) Jess and James
  • Art, Jess

1st of February 2017

Today we had our meeting with Dylan and he gave us the idea of talking to a lady called Rosie who works with people who are in prison. She has taught them how to create radio shows in this tough environment. We liked this idea as it is something different but it goes against our proposal as we wanted to talk about skills that people learn that are not on a syllabus. But I thought it was a really interesting idea as these people learn how to cook and do hairdressing and some actually turn their lives around.

What we got from Dylan’s meeting today:

• Start on the blog document and add the poetry content tonight
  • Keep it up to 30 minutes long around 10 minutes for each person
  • Work on who our audience will be
  • Talk to Jaimin and Dan Davidson on languages and what they have taught their selves

We also got a response from Sue Roys who will speak to us about her love of cooking and where she gained her skills.

8th of February 2017

Today a Lincoln city player liaison officer will be getting in touch with us about getting a potential interview with a football player. In our meeting with Dylan I mentioned that there were music players everywhere on the streets of Lincoln and I thought they would have a story to tell so we planned on talking to some of them over the next few weeks. We need to have the interviews all finished by week 6 and interview someone who plays the bag pipes as this is something you don’t learn in school and see every day. Also, we were to look up folk club, Elliot Wright and Tom Cairns as they are involved in music.

13th of February 2017

After our lecture, we had a short meeting to discuss some more people we wanted to interview, we looked at some business owners like carpentry, handymen, Sue Roys and her cooking, creative writer Will Helps and bagpipe player Cassandra. We are to research Radio Labs, Ted Talks, other podcasts and previous Radio shows and 1 podcast each.

Given that we have 9 interviews left I think we should each lead three.

Me: Alina, Will and Lincoln City FC

Adam: Graham, Liam and James

Jess: Cassandra, Su, Local Business (TBC)

We were able to set up an official interview with Cassandre for 4pm.

14th of February 2017

Plan for the 15th

• 11am tutorial with Dylan
  • 11:30am go and interview Will, Adam and I will interview Sue
  • 3pm meet in audio 1. Check and upload audio, then stay and interview Cassandre at 4pm
  • then interview Alina at her house.

15th of February

Today me and Adam interviewed Sue Roys and she gave a huge interview and gave us a lot of material to work with. She talked about her childhood and who she would cook with and what she learned from her grandmother and mother. She is all about farm to table and eating real food. Hopefully she will inspire some of the listeners when she talks about what she learned from other people. We ended up with 24 minutes’ worth of audio.

17th of February

We all need to interview a family member for our show, we need to find a skill that they have. My sister is one of those people who is just great at everything and can pick things up a lot quicker than most people. I could also interview my dad who is always building something and has built his family a lot throughout his life. I also need to start on my individual research. In our meeting with Dylan we also thought about interviewing a musician and someone who has found God at some point in their life.

Who else can we speak to? — branch out of Lincoln!

– Adams mum, carer.

– Adams uncle, tyre fitting.

– My sister, learning skills easier.

– James, football dad.

– Me, Amsterdam opportunities?

– Me, handyman dad

22nd of February 2017

James got the interview ready with Matt Mosey someone who has been fishing for a while and has wanted to teach other people along the way. Also in our meeting with Dylan we decided we needed to start to edit our interviews that we have also we need to interview Graham with his music and song writing, Fudge also needs contacting to talk to them about how they make their fudge and run their business. What skills bring people together and also talk to Craig about being a Dj and where his job has taken him from.

26th of February 2017

I was able to interview my friend Sam who has been horse riding for a long time and this has been passed down from her mother who also has done this for a long time. She didn’t speak for long but she could tell me whether she was going to pass this down to her children she also informed me that she gave lectures on horse welfare which is something different. Sadly, half way through the interview we were disturbed and we had to reschedule the interview to record it again.

27th of February

I re-recorded the interview with Sam and it went so much better, so I had her find her favourite photos of her horse riding and got her to sign a consent form and it sent it all over the group work file.  Now all together we have 9 interviews.

1st of March

We had our meeting Dylan and he was pleased with us as we were on track and everything was going well. The main things we needed to is get sound effects as me and James could not record our interviews in a location related to our topic. We need to get Craig to show us his music and get permission to use one of his tracks to put on the podcast. There was a couple of places that didn’t get back to us so we might have to rethink some people to interview but overall we are hitting our targets now we need to get on with our blog and paper work.

8th of March 2017

This afternoon I interviewed my friend Tiana, I wanted to interview her as she was always doodling and showing me her art work. She’s a creative person so I wanted to chat to her about where she got the interest from was it through family or experiences. I wanted to see if she shared this interest with her younger siblings and got creative with them. She’s an open and funny person so the interview went smoothly which was good. She sent me over some of her special bits of art work she had done over the years, there was a wide range of pieces all with different feels and meanings.

13th of March

We met in studio 1 today and listened to our past interviews then we all commentated on them and discussed them. What we liked about the interview and how we thought the people were talented and interesting. We didn’t have much of a script so it could have gone a lot better but it was our own opinion so we could give a good amount of feedback.

20th of March

We went to Studio 1 again to record some more commentary for the podcast this time we came prepared and James had printed off some bullet point notes which came in handy as we had more of a flow this time.  I am finally getting my head around how to set up the mics and how to record Adam has shown us how to do this and now I would feel confident in setting this up by myself.

21st of March

Today we got a lot of editing done and cut the larger interviews down to a smaller size. It was fun to learn how to properly edit Adam went through it with me and I got hang of it after a while. We also got some of our first podcast edited together I felt like I learned something new and achieved today. While I was editing Adam and James created some music for our podcasts, we seem to be working well together and are more than on track right now. Adam sent me a video of how to make a free website for our podcast to go alongside the blog, so over the Easter I will be able to look over it and see if I can create the website.

26th of March

We were back in Studio 1 recording our commentary for our podcast, we learned from last week to come prepared with notes and bullet points so could breeze through with only a few mistakes. We seem to be enjoying that we did not decide to do a live show and keep it all pre-recorded as we could go back over something we didn’t like the sound of and improve it.

27th of March

In Audio edit suit 1 we got to editing the second podcast which didn’t take too long, we added some of the music Adam created and it is all coming together nicely. Now all our editing work is mainly done I have gotten a lot more confident with editing I am glad that I took on this role even though I was not too confident about it in the beginning but now at least I have learned something new, which is a positive. We haven’t come across any problems everything is running smoothly so far, I think because we work so well together and because James is very organised it motivates us all to get it done.

29th of March

Our last meeting with Dylan before Easter went well we informed him of the work we had gotten done and he told us to get on with all the paperwork.

5th of April

Press pack submitted!!! Now all left for us to do is to make sure our research is up to date and tweak the podcasts.  I feel confident that as a group we can get this done to a good quality as we work well as a team and help each other through the difficult parts of the project.

25th of April 2017

The last final days of the project and most of the work is completed. I have been struggling to get my head around how to create this website, so Adam was able to step in and take over the first part then tomorrow we will all meet as group and I will touch up the final piece to make sure it is as good as we can get it then we can upload. I do not think I have been the best at the technical role as I have not properly done it before and I have not felt too confident I just hope Adam can look over it and make changes if needed. Later today I will be sending James my diary and my research work then I can start on my evaluation. Then everything will be completed.